Principal Engineer, Advanced Robot Mechanisms
ICON is looking for a Principal Engineer, Advanced Robot Mechanisms on ICON’s growing team. As the Principal Engineer, Advanced Robot Mechanisms at ICON, you will be responsible for building and managing a team of Mechanical engineers, as well as being accountable as a subject matter expert and an individual contributor while building a team around the skillset. This role is based at ICON’s Austin, TX campus and will report to the Director of Strategic R&D Programs.
- Design and development of hydraulic systems for dynamic position control including servo valves, piping, cylinders, motors, flow dividers, HPUs, etc.
- Thorough understanding of human safety from a design and standardization standpoint as it relates to large format lifting and rigging operations, and the design of such machinery.
- Work with external fabricators throughout early-stage R&D.
- Build and lead a team of mechanical engineers responsible for designing large format 3d printers, including heavy lift, long reach, and multi-story capabilities.
- Accountable for the structural design and entire lifecycle of a field-ready large format printing product.
- Specify motors, gear sets, hydraulics, power systems, and other mechatronic solutions for structural mobility and motion control.
- Choose the technical direction of the team to satisfy system performance and mobility requirements.
- Report team progress at weekly, quarterly, and yearly cadence to the VP of Strategic R&D.
- Develop FEA models for complex component analysis.
- Produce 2D/3D drawings for R&D.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of experience designing mechanical crane components.
- 5+ years of experience in structural design.
- Experience managing teams of engineers for on-time product delivery.
- Deep understanding of OSHA standards.
- 5+ years of experience in heavy equipment hydraulics systems design and development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PE level professional engineer with 8+ years of experience.
- Experience designing heavy lift hydraulic systems.
- Competency in rigging and management of large loads with robotic or semi-robotic equipment.
- Experience in calculating static and dynamic forces for reliable, safe, and accurate system design on human-rated systems.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
Something looks off?