Data Infrastructure Engineer
Workera is a fast-growing, Series B Silicon Valley start-up redefining how enterprises understand, develop, and mobilize talent. Workera’s skills intelligence platform empowers leaders to make better, more informed talent development decisions. Utilizing computational psychometrics and deep learning, Workera delivers best-in-class computer adaptive assessments with hyper-personalized learning plans to companies across all industries. Global organizations, including Samsung, Siemens Energy, and the US Air Force, use the platform to intelligently invest in and support their talent.
Our founder is Kian Katanforoosh, an award-winning Stanford Computer Science Lecturer who has taught AI to over 1 million people and our Chairman is Dr. Andrew Ng, co-founder of Coursera (NYSE: COUR), CEO of DeepLearning.AI, and founding lead of the Google Brain project.
About the role
We are in search of a highly skilled Data Infrastructure Engineer to enhance our technical Platform Team. You will play a pivotal role in crafting, optimizing, and maintaining the robust infrastructure that underpins our cutting-edge projects. As a Data Infrastructure Engineer, you'll have a unique opportunity to bridge the worlds of infrastructure and data, ensuring our systems are not only resilient but also data-driven. In this role, you'll be responsible for architecting and implementing infrastructure solutions that support our data-intensive applications. You will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, applying your expertise to ensure data availability, security, and performance. Moreover, you'll play a vital part in shaping our data strategy, optimizing data storage, and streamlining data pipelines.
About your team
Our team is a close-knit and highly experienced group of engineers who operate like a family, truly valuing each team member's contributions. A small but mighty and integral team, currently comprised of four individuals, we're excited to welcome a new team member who will be a key pillar in helping to achieve the key milestones ahead.
What You’ll Do:
Within 3 months, you will:
- Architect, deploy, and manage advanced infrastructure solutions, focusing on AWS services, Docker containerization, and PostgreSQL (RDS) as the primary datastore.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to understand technology requirements and translate them into reliable and scalable infrastructure.
- Contribute to the design and development of data solutions, including data pipelines, ETL processes, and data warehousing.
- Ensure the security, stability, and performance of our infrastructure components, employing industry best practices and monitoring tools for both infrastructure and data.
- Contribute to the automation of deployment processes, scaling mechanisms, and performance monitoring, improving both infrastructure and data workflows.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of both infrastructure and data engineering concepts, playing a key role in managing data pipelines, ETL processes, data warehousing, and infrastructure.
- Actively contribute to the design and development of data solutions, optimizing data storage and enhancing data retrieval and analysis capabilities.
- Collaborate with the Data Engineering team to refine data governance and improve infrastructure, ensuring data quality, consistency, and integrity.
- Drive improvements in the automation of deployment processes, data pipelines, scaling mechanisms, and performance monitoring, enhancing both infrastructure and data reliability.
- Work on initiatives that enhance data security, infrastructure, and compliance within the organization.
Within 9 months, you will:
- Lead significant infrastructure and data engineering projects, demonstrating your ability to architect and implement complex solutions that meet business needs.
- Play a central role in shaping the organization's infrastructure and data strategy, helping to determine the technology roadmap and data-related innovations.
- Collaborate closely with data scientists and analysts, ensuring that the data infrastructure supports advanced analytics and machine learning initiatives.
- Take ownership of key data governance, data quality, and infrastructure initiatives, improving the accuracy and consistency of data across the organization.
- Act as a subject matter expert in both infrastructure and data engineering, providing guidance and leadership to the team and contributing to knowledge sharing across the organization.
What you’ll bring:
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in data engineering, infrastructure engineering, or related fields.
- Proficiency in architecting, deploying, and managing infrastructure solutions, with a focus on AWS services.
- Strong experience with Docker containerization and container orchestration.
- In-depth knowledge of PostgreSQL, particularly with RDS (Relational Database Service).
- Hands-on experience in creating and managing Terraform and Python scripts for infrastructure provisioning and orchestration.
- Expertise in infrastructure security, stability, and performance optimization using industry best practices and monitoring tools.
- Managing and optimizing data storage solutions, including data lakes, relational databases, or other storage systems, to ensure efficient data retrieval and analysis.
- Strong understanding of data engineering concepts, including data pipelines, ETL processes, and data warehousing.
- Experience with data automation, integration of data sources, and data security.
Workera’s vision is to help humanity measurably close the skills gap. We’re learners, dreamers, and game-changers. Join us to bring everyone the opportunity to achieve their fullest potential!
At Workera we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Workera believes that diversity and inclusion among our employees are critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Selection for employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.