Can I Recycle This
CAREERS AT CIRT
Software Architect Job Description:
The software architect will be responsible for the coding and innovative design of CIRT’s web technologies. This person will take work from concept all the way to completion from the bottom up, working both on backend and frontend infrastructure and components. Their duties include communicating with the project manager and stakeholders at CIRT to identify software needs, creating proprietary and custom systems to service CIRT web and mobile applications, optimizing for different formats like desktops and mobile phones, and running tests to ensure code strings perform the correct functions.
Development of Software (80%)
This person will develop software for CIRT. This may include website plugins, custom features, and mobile or web applications. The software architect will write well designed, testable, efficient code using best development practices. They will be expected to follow reasonable standards regarding code quality and integrate data from various back-end services and databases. In addition, the software architect will work with the Product Owner to develop the overall look and feel of any user interface. They will write website code to create tools that enhance the user’s experience, and incorporate applications and graphics. There will be a special emphasis on creating visualizations of data analytics and representing spatial data on maps. They will routinely test the product for ease of use, speed, and other quality factors, and fix any issues or bugs that arise.
Project Review and Design (20%)
In their role as a software architect, this person will gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs, as well as incorporating design mock-ups from the Creative Lead. Finally, this person will create and maintain software documentation.
- Eligible to legally work in the U.S.
- A wide breadth of knowledge regarding standards-compliant HTML/CSS/Javacript, including responsive design techniques
- Experience building stateful web applications with client-side technologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience developing against NoSQL databases
- Experience integrating third party API’s and services
- Experience with CMS and E-Commerce applications
- Experience with visual editing tools such as Webflow
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies
CIRT is an employee-first business that prioritizes sustainability and wellness.
- We offer flexible work schedules for employees so that they can balance the demands of their mental/emotional wellbeing, other commitments, family, friends, and fitness.
- Every CIRT employee is eligible for $1,000 and three days of PTO for medical reasons. This reimbursement and PTO will be provided on a no-questions-asked basis in order to protect employee privacy.
- All of our employees work from home offices, and we have meetings either over Google Meet, Slack, or in-person at the Delta Innovation Hub at University of Georgia. We encourage employees to practice sustainable purchasing and responsible resource management at home, and to bike, rideshare, or walk to in-person meetings.
- We pay every employee for up to 10 hours of approved community service each year, and host community service work days so that employees have many opportunities to give back to their community.
- For full-time employees we offer a progressive parental leave policy of 8 weeks for primary caregivers and 4 weeks for secondary caregivers, two weeks paid vacation per year, and five days of sick leave, all of which are eligible for rollover.
Decision Making Authority
The Software Architect has the authority to do the following without receiving confirmation from the CTO:
- Conduct code reviews
- Submit pull requests that have passed code review
- Reprioritize user stories and epics
The Software Architect does not have the authority to do the following without receiving confirmation from the CTO:
- Spend company money and seek reimbursement for purchases
- Discuss CIRT’s proprietary database workflow with external individuals and organizations
- Allow external individuals or organizations to view or access any part of the code or backend that powers the CIRT website, database, API, or any other web-based tooling
- Refactor code